Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Equine Management Foundation Degree
The Equine Management foundation degree programme is taught by Askham Bryan College's Equine department.
The course is designed for people wishing to pursue a career within the equine industry, or those wanting to develop their own understanding of the subject.
Equine Management students can expect to learn how to manage horses, their environment and associated business theory through a combination of practical and theoretical subjects.
Core modules of this Equine Management course include:
- Riding and Training Horses
- Horse Husbandry and Management
- Applied Equine Science
- Associated Business Management topics
In addition to classroom study, students are expected to complete 150 hours of work experience at veterinary surgeries, competition yards, studs and riding schools.
This degree is validated and awarded by Harper Adams University College.
Upon successful completion of the Equine Management programme students can go on to teach and instruct, manage yards, or work in allied industries such as feed, sales or marketing.
Students wishing to study Equine Management foundation must meet the following entry requirement:
- Previous evidence of an ability to work at GCSE level or equivalent
- a minimum of 80 UCAS points (or equivalent qualifications such as a BTEC National Diploma)
- a satisfactory reference and an interview with a course tutor to discuss your previous experience and motivation for taking the course.
- A riding evaluation is also required prior to the study of riding modules.
You wll need to provide suitable yard clothes consisting of jodhpurs, boots, waterproof jacket, gloves and hat. In addition, students taking the riding module will require a body protector.
Cost for external visits (eg Newmarket, Horse of the Year Show) will be kept to a minimum but you will usually need to make some financial contribution of your own.
Askham Bryan College
Askham Bryan College is one of the UK's foremost land-based colleges and provides education and training at all levels from introductory courses for school leavers right up to honours degrees. The college, previously Yorkshire Institute of Agriculture, was founded in 1948...