Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MSc in Urban Management and DevelopmentInstitute for Housing and Urban Development Studies IHS Erasmus Rotterdam University
A step in your career!
The MSc in urban management and development program enables students to advance in their career opportunities by offering a wide range of career paths in six different areas of urban expertise.
In the almost 60 years of experience in teaching and applying urban management and development knowledge and practices, IHS has developed an extensive network of urban professionals.
- Highly international study environment with participants from over 45 different nations
- Lecturers with long-standing international teaching and working experience in the field
- High profile guest lecturers from established institutions such as UN-HABITAT, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and Lund University
- Unique training methodology of role-playing games, real-life case study analysis, class debates and on-site visits
- 6 different specializations offering a unique chance to tailor your study and broaden your career path
- Focus on linking theory to real world urban challenges and solutions developed and perfected in IHS’ almost 60 years of experience in the field
- Balanced learning environment of guided training and self-study
The intensive 12-month MSc in urban management and development is designed to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to become competent urban managers by offering an in-depth insight into urban issues, policies and trends around the world through a blend of lectures with case studies, discussions, working groups, group assignments and field visits and field work. The master program is divided into three main periods: a core period, a specialization period and a thesis period.
Students benefit from the immense IHS network including an alumni association with over 8000 members actively engaged in the field. IHS is engaged in over 100 urban programs and projects at any point in time offering students a direct contact with donor agencies and training centers worldwide.
Lecturers have long-standing international experience and continue to work all over the world thus creating a possibility to discuss and initiate links to programs and projects in countries and cities of the participants.
IHS graduates find careers in the fields of urban academia, international consultancy, local and national governments and non-governmental organizations as lecturers, urban planners, sustainable urban development and design specialists, project managers, architects, government officials, urban policy analysis and development experts, capacity building trainers, land use advisors, renowned NGO heads and specialists and many others.
Applicants interested in applying for the urban management and development program should meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a field related to the chosen course.
- Evidence of a sufficient command of English. If English is not your mother tongue an English language test or, in some cases, other proof of English proficiency is required. See section on English Language Test below for further information.
- Have the ability to interact and work with people from very diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Working experience in a relevant field is considered an important asset during the selection procedure.
- Certificates from TOEFL or IELTS as official language tests.
- Chinese applicants are required to apply for a “Nuffic Certificate”. This is a document that provides an assessment of the applicant’s English language proficiency as well as of the educational degrees and diplomas that are required to be eligible for an entry visa to the Netherlands. Nuffic sends this certificate directly to IHS once it has been issued.
Dynamic cities are all about people - how can we make more innovative cities which respond to our needs? This program in Urban Strategies and Planning teaches you how we can contribute in creating better cities through strategic urban planning. Watch this video to learn more!
Founded in 1958, The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is an international center of excellence in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. IHS has almost 60 years of experience in the field of urban management and development in six different areas...
Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies IHS Erasmus Rotterdam University
Want to know more about MSc in Urban Management and Development ? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Find your perfect career!