Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
BA/BSc Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global ChallengesLeiden University
Study a BA/BSc in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges at Leiden University
Welcome to Leiden University College (LUC) The Hague, an international honors college of Leiden University situated in the world’s capital of peace and justice. LUC The Hague provides a unique combination of world-class scholarly depth, drawn from the oldest university in the Netherlands, with a cutting-edge and globally conscious curriculum that capitalizes on its location in the vibrant, international atmosphere of The Hague.
Peace, Justice and Sustainability
LUC The Hague offers BA and BSC degrees in liberal arts & sciences that focus on issues of peace, justice and sustainability. In keeping with the liberal arts ethos, students have a high degree of freedom to construct their own programs.
LUC The Hague students are passionate about addressing the global challenges of today’s world, each will organize their diverse, interdisciplinary studies around central themes such as world politics & governance, global justice, human & cultural interaction, health and environmental sciences.
Top rankings for LUC The Hague
The Nationale Studenten Enquête 2014, a study of around 73,000 students, has named Leiden University College (LUC) The Hague the best university college in the Netherlands.
If your diploma is considered comparable to a VWO diploma, and your level of English proficiency is sufficient too (see below), you will be admitted to the program.
You will be exempted from having to take the English test if you have:
- Completed your education (secondary and/or higher) in Canada (except Quebec), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia
- Obtained an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Successfully completed the Dutch VWO
- An official Bachelor Propedeuse diploma from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hogeschool), with an average level of 7 and a Dutch Senior/Higher General Secondary Education (HAVO) diploma with a 7 for English
If the above does not apply to you, you will have to provide proof of your proficiency, by means of one of the tests below. You have to organize the test yourself. You can take the test before or after you apply for admission. Please, be advised to prepare and register in time. Leiden University accepts three kinds of official tests:
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Academic modules only. Minimum score of 6.5
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum scores are 570 (paper-based) / 230 (computer-based) / 90 (internet based). Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (grade A-C)
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges
Tuition & fees
Tuition fees for Dutch and European students are €15.439 a year.
For non-European students, fees vary. Please complete an information request form to learn more.
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...