Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
BA International StudiesLeiden University
Study a BA in international studies at Leiden University
Through the international studies BA, you'll choose one of the eight world regions offered in the bachelor’s program and you will make an in-depth study of the cultural, political, economic and historical characteristics of your chosen region.
You'll learn to compare the region of your choice in its worldwide context with another specific region, or with the world as a whole. Students of the international study program will learn about regions from the inside outwards, and how to understand the differences between separate countries and its own unique position in the world. The program is completely instructed in English, and you'll be a part of an international student body.
As a graduate of international studies, you will speak several languages, have a good understanding of different cultures and regions and will be good at recognizing the connections between different regions. You will have an international network, as you have been part of the international classroom.
If your diploma is considered comparable to a VWO diploma, and your level of English proficiency is sufficient too (see below), you will be admitted to the program.
You will be exempted from having to take the English test if you have:
- Completed your education (secondary and/or higher) in Canada (except Quebec), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia
- Obtained an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Successfully completed the Dutch VWO
- An official Bachelor Propedeuse diploma from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hogeschool), with an average level of 7 and a Dutch Senior/Higher General Secondary Education (HAVO) diploma with a 7 for English
If the above does not apply to you, you will have to provide proof of your proficiency, by means of one of the tests below. You have to organize the test yourself. You can take the test before or after you apply for admission. Please, be advised to prepare and register in time. Leiden University accepts three kinds of official tests:
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Academic modules only. Minimum score of 6.5
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum scores are 570 (paper-based) / 230 (computer-based) / 90 (internet based). Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (grade A-C)
Degree & diploma
Bachelor of Arts International Studies
Tuition & fees
Tuition fees for Dutch and European students are 2000€ a year. For non-European students, fees vary. Please complete an information request form to learn more.
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!