Study a BA in South and Southeast Asian Studies at Leiden University
In this bachelor program in South Asian Studies, you'll gain a solid understanding of the history, cultures, and modern societies of the region.
South and Southeast Asian Studies is designed for those who are curious, dedicated, and motivated – it takes time and perseverance to learn a language like Hindi, Sanskrit, Indonesian or Tibetan. The non-language courses require students who are able to work consistently and independently, and is for those who are highly interested in finding out more about other cultures and mentalities.
As a graduate of this program in South and Southeast Asian Studies, you will have a lot to offer future employers. You will have developed broad academic knowledge, sound analytical skills, and a good understanding of a specific region. You will also be comfortable working in different cultural environments.
All of these abilities will make you a suitable candidate for a broad range of international positions. You will be able to express yourself well both verbally and in writing, and you will have developed an independent and critical mindset – all essential skills for your future career prospects.
If your diploma is considered comparable to a VWO diploma, and your level of English proficiency is sufficient too (see below), you will be admitted to the program.
You will be exempted from having to take the English test if you have:
- Completed your education (secondary and/or higher) in Canada (except Quebec), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia
- Obtained an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Successfully completed the Dutch VWO
- An official Bachelor Propedeuse diploma from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hogeschool), with an average level of 7 and a Dutch Senior/Higher General Secondary Education (HAVO) diploma with a 7 for English
If the above does not apply to you, you will have to provide proof of your proficiency, by means of one of the tests below. You have to organize the test yourself. You can take the test before or after you apply for admission. Please, be advised to prepare and register in time. Leiden University accepts three kinds of official tests:
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Academic modules only. Minimum score of 6.5
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum scores are 570 (paper-based) / 230 (computer-based) / 90 (internet based). Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (grade A-C)
Tuition fees for Dutch and European students are 2000€ a year. For non-European students, fees vary. Please complete an information request form to learn more.
Bachelor of Arts South and Southeast Asian Studies
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!