Earn an LLM in Advanced Studies in International Tax Law at Leiden University
International tax law is an area that is still only minimally covered in graduate and postgraduate law and economics programs. As a student of this tax law program, you will expand your knowledge of the theory and practice of international tax law, with a special focus on tax treaties, transfer pricing and EC tax law issues.
You will also study the most important cross-border features of domestic statutory law and case law of the Unites States and, to a limited extent, of The Netherlands. In addition, you will become familiar with international planning techniques in the areas of both company taxation and estate taxation and planning.
The program pays specific attention to the development of English drafting skills. The law professors teaching the program have built a reputation for themselves in their field of expertise. Many of them also work as independent practitioners in private or public sectors, and have a wide-ranging network.
This advanced master of laws program is designed for talented international and Dutch students with various backgrounds. The LLM program is most suitable for those who recently graduated from a university graduate law or economics program with a substantial legal orientation, or those who have been in private tax law practice for some years.
In order to qualify for admission to the program, you should:
- Hold a law degree or a degree in economics or business administration (master’s level or comparable, with a demonstrated legal orientation) or expect to do so before the courses start.
- Your studies should include at least one substantive tax course; alternatively, you may already have obtained a few years of experience in tax practice after graduation (with a law or accounting firm, or in a Ministry of Finance or Revenue Service) or in teaching or research at a graduate institution.
- If the qualifying degree is a law degree, it must be one that gives access to the legal professions in the country where the degree was obtained
- Demonstrate a sufficiently high academic performance, validated by grades of your University degree/transcript and accompanying grade criteria, and letters of recommendation from current or previous professors and/or employers; demonstrate previous excellence in participation in tax courses or achievements in tax practice, illustrated by, for example, grades and grade criteria, past experience related to the subject (professional accomplishments, publications)
- Show documented evidence of relevant (work) experience, i.e., working for a law firm, internships etc. – this information should be included in your curriculum vitae
- Proven English language proficiency, demonstrated by way of a TOEFL test (overall score of 600 paper-based/250 computer-based or 100 Internet-based) or IELTS test (overall score of 7.0), evidenced by an appropriate test, occasionally complemented by a telephone interview. in addition to the above-mentioned overall English test scores, minimum band scores of IELTS 6.0 (TOEFL 20) are required for all sub-sections.
*This requirement does not apply if you have: completed your education in Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or an International Baccalaureate.
NOTE: Applicants may be offered admission to a pre-sessional English course prior to entry if they have the following English language test scores – this always at the discretion of the program admission board: An overall English score of IELTS 6.0 or 6.5 (TOEFL 80 and 90 respectively) – with no band scores lower than IELTS 5.5 (TOEFL 17) A sufficient overall English score, but one or more band score of IELTS 5.5 (TOEFL 17)
- Part-time: 9,550 (2016-2017)
- Full-time: 19,000 (2016-2017)
Master of Laws in Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!