Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in African Studies (research) at Leiden University
The Research Master’s programme in African Studies at Leiden University bridges the often artificially drawn boundaries between the humanities and the social sciences
What you'll get
- Within the Research MA you will focus on developing your research skills, and you will have an entire year (of which six months consists of fieldwork) to execute your own research project.
- You have access to the excellent facilities of Leiden University, and those of the Africa Studies Centre (ASC) and its research library, where the Research Master’s is based. The network of theASC, regular seminars, conferences and projects on Africa will provide international orientation and embedding for your MA research.
- The courses are especially designed for these masters and have a clear interdisciplinary approach. You will be guided and supervised by staff with various area and disciplinary expertise, including history, literature and film studies, anthropology, economy, geography and politics.
- As the only two year African Studies Research Master’s with a genuine area studies profile, this programme is unique in continental Europe.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills
- Affinity with and suitability for academic research, demonstrated by good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor’s program, and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher
- A completed bachelor’s program in the field of African Languages and Cultures, (African) Linguistics, History, Cultural Anthropology, Literature, Sociology, Political Sciences, Public Administration or other studies related to the Social Sciences. Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in African Studies (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!