Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in Arts and Culture at Leiden University
You learn to consider modern art and design as links between media, cultures and communities.
- Leiden has a unique teaching programme.Leiden is the only university in the Netherlands where you can study art in a global perspective. Leiden is also the only place where you can study design and decorative art, or art and architecture pre-1800 in their relation to one another.
- You have a broad range of options.The programme covers art from throughout the world and almost all art forms, media and disciplines from the past and the present.
- The programme is personally-tailored and small-scale.You will be assigned a personal mentor during the programme. The teaching generally takes the form of small-scale seminars, giving you a high degree of contact with lecturers and fellow students.
- You benefit from contacts with eminent national and international institutions. The department collaborates on teaching and research with many different academic and cultural institutions both nationally and internationally. Museums and collections are an important focal area within the programme.
The specifics depend upon the specialization, but in general:
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in Art History, or completed courses worth at least 60 credits in Art History Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)).
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Arts and Culture
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...