Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study a MA Arts and Culture (research) at Leiden University
The Master’s programme in Arts and Culture (research) at Leiden University offers a unique two year programme, that integrates art history in media studies, literature and literary theory, since the study of cultural objects and cultural practices is founded on a shared theoretical and methodological framework.
Benefits of the MA program
- Join a program that stands out by its global character, focus on design and applied arts, and integrated study of the visual arts and architecture
- Benefit from its intense collaboration with the MA in Media Studies and the MA in Literary Studies.
- Acquire a valuable range of skills and knowledge, both disciplinary and interdisciplinary, historical and theoretical
- Enjoy the research master’s flexible program, encouraging you to adopt a interdisciplinary perspective, while following courses within your ‘home discipline’ as well
- Focus on arts and culture, media studies or literary studies, or explore a single period (middle ages, early modern resp. modern and contemporary).
The courses address the relations of culture and society guided by the research programme of LUCAS, the Leiden Institute for the Arts in Society. LUCAS focuses on four domains, both in modern culture and through the ages: politics, law and justice, religion and technology.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills.
- Affinity with and suitability for academic research, demonstrated by good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor’s program, and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher.
- A bachelor’s degree in Art History or a related discipline, such as Visual Studies, Cultural Studies, Media Studies, Archaeology, Fine Art or Architectural Studies with a sufficient focus on art and architectural historical education.
- Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE); for the ‘writing’ and ‘reading’ components a minimum score of IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 25 is required).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Arts and Culture (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!