Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in History at Leiden University
The Leiden University Institute for History has a broad and wide-reaching academic scope. The masters program in history offers you the chance to obtain a degree based on your own particular interests and ambitions.
This masters of arts program enables you to pursue your own interests as much as possible, the various specializations have a thematic focus. Within these specializations there are also possibilities to concentrate on maritime history, political debate or economic history. Its strong international orientation and focus on the study of European and non-European history in a global context gives the Leiden MA in History a unique character in the Netherlands.
- Ancient History
- Medieval History
- Dutch History
- Early Modern History
- Contemporary History
- American History
- Maritime History
- Social History
- Economic History
The wide range of chairs in history which include most European and non-European areas, combined with the unique archive material available in Leiden University and in nearby The Hague facilitates a study of nearly all areas of the world.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills
- Comparable qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills with those acquired upon graduating from the bachelor’s program History from Leiden University
- Ability to conduct independent empirical research
- Ability to read academic literature and reflect critically on it
- Knowledge of general history and the ability to present findings (based on a critical reading of the literature or based on empirical research) in a systematic and analytical manner
- Ability to write a thesis with proper references to the literature. Applicants may be asked to submit a writing sample, proving these qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills. Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in History
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!