Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in History (research) at Leiden University
The research program in history at Leiden University offers you the chance to study based on your own particular interests and ambitions. With five specializations, you will pay specific attention to the development of theories on historical processes, historiography and methodology of historical research.
As a graduate of a history research master’s degree you are qualified to work as a junior academic researcher in an academic environment or carry out further research work on a PhD program. The 2-year program in history is an outstanding preparation for a PhD in history within or outside Leiden University.
You'll write an elaborate thesis under the supervision of an expert in the field which potentially serves as an excellent starting point for a PhD dissertation. You will also experience the riches and challenges of academia not only via frequent meetings with your tutor, but also during the seminars in which staff members and research master’s students discuss one another’s research findings and exchange scholarly views and insights.
Students are encouraged to spend the third semester of your research masters abroad taking a few optional courses and conducting research for your thesis. Those who aim for a position outside academia will discover that the depth and scope of the research master’s in history allows you to successfully venture on a career in education, administration, heritage, journalism, business, and many more.
Since 2013, research students can participate in a new initiative of Leiden University in cooperation with the Sorbonne (Paris) and Charles University in Prague leading to a separate additional master certificate in European Society and Politics issued by the Europaeum Association of leading European Universities.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills.
- Affinity with and suitability for academic research, demonstrated by good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor’s program, and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher. A bachelor’s program in History or a comparable degree with a relevant specialization.
- The ability to conduct independent empirical research.
- The ability to read academic literature and reflect critically on it. Knowledge of general history and be able to present the findings (based on a critical reading of the literature or based on empirical research) in a systematic and analytical manner.
- The ability to write a thesis with proper references to the literature. Sufficient command of French and German to be able to read scholarly literature.
- Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in History (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!