Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Earn an MA in Latin American Studies at Leiden University
In the master’s programme in Latin American Studies at Leiden University you will focus on key social, political, linguistic and cultural developments which are currently shaping the complex reality of Latin America.
During the programme you will learn to understand the here and now of this region by paying attention to the most recent academic discussions.
- Gain expertise from the diverse perspectives of a wide range of academic disciplines such as modern history, literature, and linguistics, as well as the social sciences,
- Immerse yourself into the current reality of Latin America through Spanish-taught lectures. This allows you to use present-day Latin American sources and documents on a wide range of topics.
- Conduct individual field work research for your final thesis in a Latin American country of your choice.
- Learn from scholars based in Latin America through the department’s long-existing contacts with academic centres and scholars in most Latin American countries.
All this makes the programme unique in the Netherlands and abroad, attracting very motivated students from a wide variety of, among other, European and Latin American countries.
You can choose from three disciplinary tracks:
- Public Policies in Latin America
- Cultural Analysis in Latin America
- Language Variation and Bilingualism
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills.
- Comparable qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills with those acquired upon graduating from the bachelor’s program Latin American Studies from Leiden University, specifically: Elementary knowledge and understanding of the most important cultural and historical developments in Latin America.
- Ability to deal with theories about the chosen research subject and to apply those theories into a concrete case study.
- Sufficient command of the language of instruction, to be assessed by the faculty board (Spanish CEFR listening B2, reading C1; Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR spoken interaction B2, spoken production B2, writing B2). Sufficient command of English (IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 79-80 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Latin American Studies
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!