Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MA Latin American Studies (research)Leiden University
Study an MA Latin American studies research program at Leiden University
The research master’s in Latin American studies at Leiden University is a unique and multi-disciplinary 2-year program, that focuses on ‘Latin American Modernities: Resistance, Revival and Change’. It addresses cutting-edge debates around key social, cultural and historical themes in the Latin American and the Caribbean region.
What you'll get
- An international environment with staff members and students from all over the world, including Latin America and Europe.
- Learn from a dedicated team of active researchers in the field of Latin American Studies, who provide constant support throughout the program.
- Carry out your own research project on Latin American Modernities in a country of your choice. Staff members of the program are in close contact with different universities and research institutes throughout the region.
- Acquire an outstanding qualification and the foundation for a wide range of future careers or carry out further research work on a PhD program.
- Benefit from the broad network of active contacts throughout Latin America, established by our staff members.
- Immerse yourself in the current reality of Latin America through Spanish-taught lectures. A substantial part of the program is taught in Spanish, while some courses can be in English.
- Choose to write your papers and thesis in Spanish, English or Portuguese.
The MA program in Latin American studies is rooted in historical and ongoing experiences and traumas of colonialism, nation building, and the neoliberal trend across the different countries of the region. These topics are visible in the identities and cultural manifestations of Latin Americans.
You'll study the different forms through which modernity is imagined and implemented in Latin America. During the program, you will deepen your knowledge on diverse current issues in the field of modern history and literature, as well as in the social sciences, ethnographic and discourse analysis methods. This research master’s trains you to take a critical view of developments in these fields of study.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills.
- Affinity with and suitability for academic research, demonstrated by good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor’s program, and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of area studies, literary studies, history and/or social sciences, demonstrable from a bachelor’s thesis in which relevant literature and research are covered.
- Sufficient proficiency in the languages of instruction: Listening: Spanish CEFR B2; Reading: Spanish CEFR C1; Spoken interaction Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2; Spoken production Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2; Writing Spanish and/or Portuguese CEFR B2 Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Latin American Studies (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!