Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MA Literary StudiesLeiden University
Earn an MA in Literary Studies at Leiden University
The Leiden University master’s in literary studies offers separate 1-year programs in English, French, German and Italian literature and culture. If you have a bachelor’s degree in one of these subjects, this master’s is the perfect way of deepening and broadening your knowledge of the literature and culture of your specialization, thus becoming a true specialist of your chosen language.
- English Literature and Culture
- French Literature and Culture
- German Literature and Culture
- Italian Literature and Culture
- Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond
From 2016-17, the Master’s in Literary Studies will offer a new specialisation: Literature in Society. Europe and Beyond. This one-year, English spoken programme focuses on the interaction between literature and key political and social issues such as identity, migration, memory and the metropolis, in a transnational and comparative perspective.
You'll benefit from courses given by experts in terms of the period (middle ages, early modern, modern, post-modern and post-colonial) but also in terms of rhetoric, semiotics, intermediality, inter-cultural history and other approaches current in literary studies.
- All courses are taught in the language of your specialisation.
- The Master’s programmes in English, French, German and Italian literature cover the entire range of these literatures, from medieval to early modern, modern and contemporary.
- You will benefit from courses given by experts in terms of the period (middle ages, early modern, modern, post-modern and post-colonial) but also in terms of rhetoric, semiotics, intermediality, inter-cultural history and other approaches current in Literary Studies.
- You can use of the vast range of options to construct your personal programme. You may include a course in English, French, German or Italian linguistics. You may also include a course in the national Masterlanguage programme or go abroad to the country of your specialisation, for an internship or university courses.
The specifics depend upon the specialization, but in general:
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree OR
- Demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Literary Studies
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!