Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MA Middle Eastern Studies (research)Leiden University
Study a MA research program in Middle Eastern Studies at Leiden University
This research programme allows you to focus on a region, such as the Arab world, North Africa, or Turkey, or on a discipline, such as history, politics, religion, or language and literature.
Middle Eastern and Islamic studies in Leiden have a justly deserved worldwide reputation. Their breadth and depth are not only unparallelled in the Netherlands, but represent the very best of Middle Eastern and Islam-related research and teaching in Europe and beyond.
The broad expertise of Leiden's teaching faculty provides opportunities to explore the spectrum of Middle Eastern life and culture, from its Christian communities to Islamists and from the origins of Islam to the living, vibrant present. For those concentrating on Islamic studies, the programme embraces Muslim societies across Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. The opportunity to work intensively in primary languages is offered in all tracks, but not demanded.
The programme, while paying special attention to regions and inter-regional relations, draws upon a comparative Area Studies approach. Middle Eastern Studies (research) not only encourages intra-Middle East comparisons, but closely co-operates with Asian Studies (research). This co-operation is institutionalised, for example, through a common introductory course on Area Studies.
- Turkish Studies
- Arabic Studies
- North African Studies
- Persian Studies
- Eastern Christianity
- Modern Middle East Studies
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills.
- Affinity with and suitability for academic research, demonstrated by good grades comparable with an average mark of at least 7.5 (Dutch grading system) for the entire bachelor’s program, and a grade for the bachelor’s thesis of an 8 or higher.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of Middle Eastern Studies and/or area studies, literary studies, linguistics, history and/or social sciences, that ideally, but not necessarily, includes knowledge and understanding of the regional languages.
- For some electives on offer within the program, the language level of students working has to be equal to the exit level of the relevant bachelor’s program of Leiden University. Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE); a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 22 is required for each of the four components).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Middle Eastern Studies (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey to enter the draw.
Find your perfect career!