Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in North American Studies at Leiden University
The strengths of Leiden University’s master program in North American Studies lie particularly in African-American history and literature, U.S. political history and foreign policy, immigrant and ethnic studies in the U.S., and (public) memory and memorialization. Although some attention is paid to Canada and Mexico in a number of courses, the main focus in this program is on the United States.
What you'll get
- Explore major issues in the history, literature and culture of US, as well as undertaking in-depth studies of specific historical and literary topics.
- Study at a leading international centre of research in American Studies,
- Apply the integrated approach to North American Studies and discover connections between historical events and cultural and literary developments.
Leiden American Studies graduates go on to a variety of careers in teaching, journalism, politics, government, publishing and research.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills.
- Comparable qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills with those acquired upon graduating from the bachelor’s program in history from Leiden University
- Applicants should, for example, have a Bachelor’s degree in the field of American Studies or another Bachelor’s degree in Humanities or Social Sciences that includes components in the field of American Studies worth at least 30 credits.
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities or Social Sciences and who have completed the minor in American Studies at Leiden University are considered to have fulfilled this requirement.
- Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE); for the ‘speaking’ and ‘writing’ components a minimum score of IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 25 is required).
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in North American Studies
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey to enter the draw.
Find your perfect career!