Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MA in Philosophy at Leiden University
This two-year Master’s programme is intended for students in a particular academic discipline, who are interested in the philosophical foundations and methodological aspects of that discipline.
The programme aims to give students a broad and deep knowledge of and insight into philosophy, a number of its branches, and their historical development. Additionally, the programme aims to give students advanced academic skills in the interpretation of texts, the analysis and solution of conceptual problems and the communication of ideas and viewpoints to specialist and general audiences. The Leiden Institute for Philosophy has strong international links with philosophy departments worldwide, resulting in an active programme of visiting scholars and lecturers. The Institute’s research programme ‘meets the highest international standards’, according to the latest external research assessment of March 2006.
The institute represents a wide range of research interests, enabling students to specialize in the following:
- History of Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Mind and Cognition
- Ethics and Political Philosophy
- Philosophical Anthropology
- Cultural Philosophy
- Comparative Philosophy
The Leiden Institute for Philosophy has strong international links with philosophy departments worldwide, resulting in an active program of visiting scholars and lecturers.
The specifics depend upon the specialization, but in general:
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills. knowledge, understanding and skills comparable to those acquired upon graduation from the Bachelor’s program in Philosophy at Leiden University.
- Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE).
Specifically applicants should:
- Be able to formulate a clear philosophical research question. be able to formulate their own critical philosophical positions and argue for these coherently.
Degree & diploma
Master of Arts in Philosophy
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!