Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
MSc BiologyLeiden University
Earn an MSc in Biology at Leiden University
The MSc in biology in Leiden offers a wealth of opportunities for students who are interested in molecular biosciences or in evolution, biodiversity and conservation.
The Biology Institute at Leiden University has a number of highly recognized research specializations in evolution and molecular biology. The Institute of Environmental Sciences specializes in research in the area of conservation and sustainability.
The extensive invaluable biodiversity collections at the National Herbarium of the Netherlands, the famous Hortus botanicus, and the popular National Museum of Natural History ‘Naturalis’, all contribute to an excellent environment for biologists in Leiden.
Biology in Leiden is part of the Faculty of Science, providing ample opportunities for crossing borders with other science areas. The close proximity of the Bio Science Park with its many companies active in the (bio)medical field, and the collaborations with the Leiden University Medical Center, expand the study possibilities enormously.
Reasons to Choose Biology in Leiden
- No less than five biological research institutes collaborate in the MSc program in Leiden, giving it a very broad and diverse scope.
- The multi-disciplinary character of the program is further increased through collaborations between research groups and other biological and medical research institutions.
- All MSc specializations combine a solid educational program with the focus on hands-on research, providing a balanced training.
- Biology in Leiden offers an international academic environment and world-class research.
- In Leiden, you can combine training in biological research with training in communication, education and science-based business.
- A BSc degree in Biology from Leiden University. Students holding such degree will be admitted directly to the program
- BSc graduates from other universities graduates with a Bachelor of Science in other natural sciences, life sciences, mathematics or biomedical sciences, applicants with a higher professional education (hbo) degree in a related field of science, or with a diploma in Higher Laboratory Education (hlo)
- For students following the education specialization, it is strongly recommended that the BSc program has included the 10-EC course on Learning, Presentation and Communication, offered by the Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching (ICLON), or an equivalent course
*The Board of Admissions judges each application individually based on content of the BSc curriculum and on the grades obtained previously. As a guideline, hbo students should have obtained their BSc degree with an average final grade of at least 7.5. The Board of Admissions will assess the equivalence of the previous training to the Dutch Bachelor of Science in Biology, which may result in additional coursework.
- Copy of English proficiency certificate evidenced by appropriate language test. - IELTS: minimum 6.5 (minimum score on each subtest: 6.0) - TOEFL: internet based 90 - Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), minimum grade C
*This requirement does not apply if you have: completed your education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or an International Baccalaureate
Degree & diploma
Master of Science in Biology
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!