Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Earn an MSc in Biomedical Sciences at Leiden University
What causes specific illnesses? Of what influence are certain risk factors in cardiovascular disease? What does the body do to fight viral infections? What molecular or physiological mechanisms are involved in the development or retreat of cancer? What are the methods for diagnosing and analyzing genetic defects, and how can these methods be improved? Is stem cell therapy our future? How is biomedical knowledge best translated to actual treatment of patients?
These are just some questions pertinent to the MSc in biomedical sciences program. In order to address these complex and challenging questions, the biomedical sciences program will help you gain a thorough understanding of human health and disease.
In addition to the main curriculum of the biomedical science program, you'll choose to specialize in a field such as:
- Biomedical Sciences Communication
- Biomedical Sciences Education
- Biomedical Sciences Management
- Biomedical Sciences Research
Reasons to choose Biomedical Sciences in Leiden:
- The programme is offered by Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC); a modern institution which combines research, education and patient care with a high quality profile and a strong scientific orientation;
- Research conducted at LUMC scores very high in European and world rankings;
- Choice of specialisations in Research, Management, Science Communication and Education. Students who wish to look beyond hard core research are thus taught to bridge science to business, or to society in general;
- The flexibility of our two-year programme allows you to follow your individual interests in the order that suits you most;
- You will enjoy small-group teaching, and high-quality courses dealing with the frontiers of modern science;
- Collaboration with the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm (Sweden) and with Ruprecht Karls Universität in Heidelberg (Germany) enables you to include courses and research placements taken at these institutions;
- In addition, participation in the Joint Programme in Translational and Experimental Medicine of the EUROLIFE consortium (a collaboration in the life sciences between six distinguished universities, i.e. Leiden, Stockholm, Dublin, Edinburgh, Göttingen, and Barcelona) gives you the same advantages of being trained in an international setting;
- Leiden University and the LUMC provide good financial support for the international exchange of students;
- The modern facilities of the LUMC are located in three buildings that are connected and form a unilocation. This brings our core activities – research, education and patient care – even more closely together.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Sciences from Leiden University, can be admitted to the program directly. All other requests will be reviewed by the admissions committee for Biomedical Sciences in Leiden.
- A bachelor’s degree obtained at a high level university with sufficient education (about a month of full-time study per subject) in the following subjects: Molecular Cellular Biology, Genetics, Immunology, Anatomy, Pathology, Physiology, Microbiology, Neurosciences, Epidemiology, and Statistics. Several months’ experience of working in a laboratory is also required
- Proof of sufficient proficiency in English evidenced by an appropriate test. IELTS: each test component must score a minimum of 6.5; TOEFL score 58 (computer-based, overall 232), 144 (paper-based, overall 575) or 23 (internet-based, overall 90)
- C1 level within CEF International students who want to apply for the communication or education specializations should have proof of proficiency in Dutch (an NT2-II certificate, or an equivalent qualification in the Dutch language)
Degree & diploma
Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!