Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Earn an MSc in Media Technology at Leiden University
The media technology MSc program is held in conjunction with the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science and the Faculty Science and the Academy for Creative and Performing Arts.
The media technology masters fosters an environment where students, artists and researchers are allowed to formulate their own scientific questions. Students are encouraged to translate personal inspirations and curiosities into their own research projects.
The program places a high importance on creativity as a key factor in scientific innovation. It aims to be a place where students, artists and scientists conduct research by creating innovative solutions, inspired by results and principles of science. The media technology curriculum focuses on creative exploration and on the understanding of science and technology.
Students are encouraged to draw from the knowledge available throughout Leiden University and the Art Science Interfaculty in The Hague. Key concepts throughout the program are creativity, technology and scientific research. The MSc program’s goal is to stimulate innovation and creativity in scientific research by the innovative application of technology.
The Media Technology MSc programme is a continuation for students with a background in:
- Computer Science, Performing and Creative Arts, Artificial Intelligence, Psychology (esp. Experimental Psychology), diverse exact sciences, Arts and Technology, Interaction Design, Communication Studies. The Board of Admissions will assess the equivalence of their previous training to these Bachelor of Science degrees.
- The admission process may include an interview by the Board of Admissions. Applications are assessed on the basis of specific work and training experience relating to the field of Media Technology. Most importantly, candidates should have a demonstrable interest in science and scientific research, but also an affinity with technology and creativity. They must dare to go beyond established paths and enjoy critical thinking.
- The programme deals with technological depths.
- Applicants must know computer programming or they must want to learn computer programming.
- Copy of English proficiency certificate evidenced by appropriate language test. - IELTS: minimum 6.5 - TOEFL: internet based 90 - Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), minimum grade C.
*This requirement does not apply if you have: completed your education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or an International Baccalaureate
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Master of Science in Media Technology
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...