Earn an MSc in Political Science at Leiden University
The MSc in political science aims to provide its students with a deep and comprehensive understanding of political issues, focusing on the theme of ‘Conflict and Cooperation’.
As a student of the political science master, you'll immerse yourself in the two most important phenomena of national and international politics: conflict and cooperation. You will be encouraged to do so from multiple perspectives. Whether you choose a national or international focus, you'll learn to think like a social scientist and employ tried and tested methodology of the discipline.
Why Political Science in Leiden?
Leiden’s Institute of Political Science is one of the largest political science departments in Europe. It accommodates a wide range of (sub)disciplines and research interests. Lecturers of the political science program are high ranking specialists in their field.
The modular set-up of the program allows you to select the topics and courses which best suit your preferences. Besides studying political science themes, you will also familiarize yourself with the state of the art in social and political science literature and methodology.
The following requirements apply to all applicants (including Leiden University graduates applying for admission for September 2016 or subsequent semesters):
- Leiden University graduates applying for admission for February 2016 only need to register in Studielink
- A bachelor’s diploma (from a recognized university, as defined by the university) in Political Science or a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
- Good academic record as evidenced by a grade point average of 7 in the Dutch system (or equivalent) and/or other indicators (such as relevant extracurricular activities or honours program)
- At least 80 ECTS in political science or political science relevant subjects
- Competency in Social Science Research Methodology demonstrated by coursework NB: If the applicant cannot demonstrate competency in Social Science Research Methodology, he will be required to take a course in Research Design and Measurement in the Social Sciences during the first block of the academic year.
- Your motivation letter
- Your CV
- Your academic transcripts/lists of courses taken (not necessary for students who have completed a BSc in Political Science at Leiden University)
- A copy of the Bachelor degree (if available) or a statement from the applicant’s university with expected graduation date A copy of English test result (if applicable)
- A completed application form
- A letter of reference (not necessary for students who have completed a BSc in Political Science at Leiden University)
- Sufficient proficiency in the English language, as evidenced by an appropriate test: a TOEFL score of at least 600 (paper based)/ 250 (computer based)/ 100 (internet based) or an IELTS score of at least 7.0.
*This requirement does not apply for: students who have completed their education in any one of the following countries: Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia
Master of Science in Political Science
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!