Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Earn an MSc in Psychology at Leiden University
The master’s program in psychology focuses both on in-depth study of theory and on the acquisition of professional and research skills.
Teaching is not limited to only the functioning of psychological processes, but is also connected to behavioral consequences, with the aim of understanding self-regulation and behavioral control. In this way, students develop their knowledge of psychology as a science, and learn to apply this knowledge in order to understand practical problems and effective interventions for dealing with these problems.
This MSc in psychology program is based on state-of-the art scientific research and maintains a strong emphasis on the acquisition of academic and research skills. Completion of the MSc degree prepares students for subsequent academic master’s degrees, including a PhD.
- Applied Cognitive Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Economic and Consumer Psychology
- Health and Medical Psychology
- Methodology and Statistics
- Occupational Health Psychology
- School Psychology
- Social and Organizational Psychology
The masters in psychology equips students with advanced training in research methods and professional skills that prepare them both for a career involving psychological research as well as for the application of scientific knowledge and methods in various professional settings.
Prospective students should:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a university program or an equivalent degree and possess the skills, understanding and knowledge that are required for earning the bachelor’s degree; more specific within this bachelor program the knowledge on university level of Psychology and related courses
- Theory or training in interpersonal skills, such as interview, counseling, discussion techniques.. Theory or training in psycho diagnostics Advanced courses (at least 30 ec) on a third year Bachelor level on topics pertaining to the preferred master specialization within the MSc Psychology
- Have sufficient knowledge of methods and statistics (at least 20 EC): introductory and more advanced courses in methods and statistics of psychological research (including psychometrics, multivariate data analysis) and the use of SPSS
- Have earned the degree of bachelor at a university not being a university of professional education, or demonstrate the ability to meet the requirements for such a degree
- Have proof of thorough proficiency in English: English language test IELTS overall 7.0 and band scores 6.5/ TOEFL IBT 100, band scores 22 (reading), 22 (listening), 22 (speaking) and 25 (writing)/Cambridge CPE-C evidenced by an appropriate test
*This requirement does not apply if you have: completed your education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or an International Baccalaureate, or a Dutch VWO diploma
*Leiden University psychology Bachelor’s Students who have a BSc in Psychology from Leiden University are eligible for admission.
Degree & diploma
Master of Science in Psychology
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey to enter the draw.
Find your perfect career!