Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study an MSc in Psychology Research Program at Leiden University
The MSc research in psychology is a 2-year program that is focused on acquiring research skills in a particular field of psychology.
The psychology program provides students with a rigorous training in the methodological and practical skills necessary to carry out scientific research on human behavior.
Students gain hands-on experience with how psychological theory can contribute to the analysis and solution of practical problems and how the application of existing theory guides further theoretical development. Students may also choose to specialize in the psychological sub-discipline of their choice.
Students can focus on one of the specializations within the master’s program:
- Clinical and Health Psychology
- Cognitive Neuroscience Developmental Psychology
- Social and Organizational Psychology
Students who wish to expand their expertise in the domain of brain and cognition can choose from a wide range of elective courses offered within and outside the Institute of Psychology.
The MSc in Psychology (Research) is a selective master with a restricted number of places. Prospective students should:
- Possess the skills, understanding and knowledge that are required for earning the bachelor’s degree in psychology or a related field
- Have sufficient knowledge of Methodology and Statistics (at least 20 EC): introductory and more advanced courses in methods and statistics of psychological research (including psychometrics, multivariate data analysis) and the use of SPSS.
- Have proof of thorough proficiency in written and spoken English, e.g. by means of an IELTS score of 7,5 or a TOEFL score of 113/263/625 or equivalent (for non-native speakers of English) with at least an IELTS score of 7,0 on partial scales of these tests and at least a TOEFL score of 25 (reading), 25 (listening), 23 (speaking) and 27 (writing) on partial scales of these tests
- A high grade for the bachelor thesis (7.5 or higher or ranking among the top 20 per cent of your class). A high average grade for coursework (7.5 or higher or ranking among the top 20 per cent of your class)
- Students are admitted to a specific track. They can change tracks until the beginning of the second semester if they meet the conditions for this second track
*Note: An HBO diploma does not give admission to this master’s program
Degree & diploma
Master of Science in Psychology (research)
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Location & accommodation
Leiden, the Netherlands
Life in Leiden is greatly influenced by the relatively large number of students, as most of them both live and study in the historic city of Leiden, which has approxomately 120.000 inhabitants. Leiden University does not have a campus, but the city is it’s campus. You will almost always run into someone you know when you go shopping or when you go out at night. Since Leiden is...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!