Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
The LLB is designed to give students the legal knowledge and the skills to apply the law in practice. The career focused programme is the standard national qualification for entrance to all branches of the legal profession. Through the duration of the LLB students will be introduced to the basic practical skills and an introduction to the legal work environment in the Legal Skills and Practice course.
In the fourth and last year of the LLB students are able to choose from a range of elective courses which allows them to specialise in certain areas such as:
- Environmental law
- Tax law
- Attorneys' practice
- Information technology (IT) law
- Maritime law
- Tourism law
Senior LLB students have the opportunity to gain valuable practical experience at the faculty’s Law Clinic where they are able to offer free legal services to needy people.
At the faculty’s Eastern Cape Street Law project they are also able to engage in educating the public about their legal rights and responsibilities.
The admission requirements for the LLB are:
- For current grade 12 learners:
- Admission Points Score of 38.
- Minimum NSC requirements for degree entry must be met.
- English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa (home language or first additional language) on at least level 3 (40-49%).
- NSC achievement rating of at least 2 (30-39%) for Mathematics or 4 (50-59%) for Mathematical Literacy.
- Applicants with an Admission Points Score between 28 and 37 may be referred to write the Access Assessment Test before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
- Candidates who do not meet the Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy requirements will be required to take an additional numeracy module.
- All applicants must have degree status. No diploma status applicants will be referred for testing.
- Includes testing for LLB Extended Programme.
- For applicants who went to hight school prior to 2008:
- Matriculation exemption/endorsement.
- Learners must score at least 31 points on the university’s SPS rating scale.
- Applicants who do not meet the requirements for direct admission, and who have an SPS of 18 or higher, may be referred to write the Access Assessment Test before a decision is made on whether or not to admit the applicant to the course.
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) is the largest higher education institution in the Eastern and Southern Cape. Approximately 10% of NMMU's 27,000 students are international students.The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University offers quality education in a vibrant, diverse environment conducive...
Location & accommodation
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
About Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth is situated 260 km from Knysna and about 800km from Cape Town. Located on the South Eastern coast of Africa, this major sea port and tourist destination is set along the beautiful shores of Algoa Bay, and is fondly referred to as the Friendly Eco-City. It is known for its sunshine and safe sandy beaches. For the tourist wanting a total South African experience, Port Elizabeth...