Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Description of Color Science MS
Study color science in the USA
The color science degree from Rochester Institute of Technology is an interdisciplinary master degree program taught in English involving the study of physics, chemistry, physiology, statistics, computer science, and psychology.
This Master of Science degree in color science is the only graduate program in the USA devoted to color science.
The master degree is designed for students with undergraduate majors in physics, chemistry, computer science, imaging science, experimental psychology, physiology, electrical engineering, or any discipline pertaining to the quantitative description of color.
The graduates of this MS in color science are in high demand within a wide array of industries, taking up positions in electronic imaging, color instrumentation, colorant formulation, and basic and applied research.
Student who study color science at RIT will cover both theory and practical application and will gain broad experience and exposure to the field of color. Participants will also have the opportunity to specialize in an area appropriate for their interest and background.
The Munsell Color Science Laboratory within the Center for Imaging Science is the pre-eminent academic laboratory in the United States devoted to color science and is central to the activities of this master in color science at RIT.
Among other things, students will learn about and color appearance models; image-quality, data-visualization, and color-tolerance psychophysics; spectral-based image capture, archiving, and reproduction of artwork; analytical and empirical multi-ink printing models; spectral color rendering, color management, computer graphics; and material appearance.
To be considered for admission to the MS program in color science, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution,
- Submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE),
- Submit official transcripts (in English) for all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work,
- Submit two professional recommendations,
- Complete an on-campus interview (when possible),
- Have an average GPA of 3.0 or higher,
- Have completed foundation course work with GPA of 3.0 or higher (if required), and
- Complete a graduate application.
- International applicants who native language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Minimum scores of of 587 (paper-based) or 94 (Internet-based) are required. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores will be accepted in place of the TOEFL exam. Minimum scores will vary; however, the absolute minimum score required for unconditional acceptance is 7.0.
For more information on the requirements and the application process for this Master of Science program, please complete a request form.
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Graduates of this program will be awarded a Master of Science in Color Science.
Tuition & fees
Request information - obligation free
Rochester Institute of Technology
Join a vibrant community teeming with students, experts, and specialists across all fields at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Offering the perfect environment to pursue your passions, RIT offers an intersection of disciplines for you to launch your career. The...
Location & accommodation
Rochester, United States of America
Rochester, located in the state of New York, is a dynamic city, and home to over one million people - large enough to provide the dining and night life opportunities you might expect in a bigger city, yet small and friendly enough to be inviting and accessible. In Rochester you’ll find everything from high-tech industry, to history & culture, entertainment and recreation. RIT’s...