Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Description of MS Astrophysical Sciences and Technology
Study astrophysics at RIT
Study the universe beyond the confines of the Earth. A new generation of advanced ground-based and space-borne telescopes and enormous increases in computing power are enabling a golden age of astrophysics.
The MS program in astrophysical sciences and technology from Rochester Institute of Technology focuses on the underlying physics of phenomena beyond the Earth.
This Master of Science degree will explore the development of the technologies, modeling techniques, and data analysis that will enable the next key strides in the field of astrophysics.
The multidisciplinary emphasis of this astrophysics master program sets it apart from conventional astrophysics graduate programs at traditional research universities.
The astrophysics MS program will include 4 core courses, 4 elective courses, two semesters of graduate seminar, and a research project culminating in a thesis.
To be considered for admission to the MS program in astrophysical sciences and technology at RIT, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree in physical science, mathematics, computer science, or engineering at an accredited college or university,
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.2/4.0 in course work in mathematical, science, engineering, and computer subject areas,
- Submit official transcripts (in English) for all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work,
- Submit two letters of recommendation,
- Submit scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), and
- Complete a graduate application.
- International applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based) is required. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores will be accepted in place of the TOEFL exam. Minimum scores will vary; however, the absolute minimum score required for unconditional acceptance is 6.5.
For candidates lacking adequate academic preparation or for those who hold a bachelor's degree in an area other than those listed above, bridge and foundation course work may be necessary prior to full admission.
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Graduates of this program will be awarded a Master of Science in Astrophysical Sciences and Technologies.
Tuition & fees
Request information - obligation free
Rochester Institute of Technology
Join a vibrant community teeming with students, experts, and specialists across all fields at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Offering the perfect environment to pursue your passions, RIT offers an intersection of disciplines for you to launch your career. The...
Location & accommodation
Rochester, United States of America
Rochester, located in the state of New York, is a dynamic city, and home to over one million people - large enough to provide the dining and night life opportunities you might expect in a bigger city, yet small and friendly enough to be inviting and accessible. In Rochester you’ll find everything from high-tech industry, to history & culture, entertainment and recreation. RIT’s...