Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Study a Masters in Cultural Studies in Istanbul
The Master’s in Cultural Studies is designed to enhance dialogue and collaborative research among humanities and social sciences, bringing together scholars in anthropology, literary criticism and sociology.
The program in Cultural Studies cultivates an open intellectual atmosphere where students and academic staff engage with ongoing debates on critical issues of cultural politics in Turkey and around the world in the era of neo-liberal globalism.
Cultural Studies faculty and staff are involved in a wide range of research projects and public platforms, both national and international. Particular strengths of the program include ethnographic and interpretive methodologies, and collaboration across disciplines on the following research themes:
- Transnational mobility, ethnic identities and citizenship
- Gender, sexuality, intimacy
- Ideology and politics of representation
- Memory studies and oral history
Students in the program can pursue two degree pathways. All students are expected to complete one year of intensive seminars. During the second year, cultural studies students who are interested in research or academic careers can opt to work on a research theme of their own choice, under the supervision of a faculty member. Such students are expected to write a well-argued thesis, subject to evaluation by a thesis committee.
Cultural Studies Careers
• The cultural sector: museums, cultural centers, publishing, tourism and media industries
• The private sector: especially advertising, public relations, marketing
• The public sector: government funded projects; local government initiatives, as well as E.U. and other international projects
• Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs): community work and action research, particularly in the areas of cultural policy, social policy, education, human rights, women’s rights, refugees and asylum seekers
Applicants may be invited for written exams and interviews. All written exams and interviews are held in English.
Deadlines for applications are announced in the Academic Calendar
Approval by the Turkish Higher Education Council (YÖK) regarding recognizing the institution and compatibility of the education received is required for applicants with a degree from an institution abroad.
Application Documents and Requirements:
- Online Application Form: Candidates can apply to more than one program via the online system. A separate application form should be filled out for each program to which a candidate wishes to apply.
- Official Transcript: A sealed official transcript issued by the Student Affairs unit of the applicant's previous university should be submitted. This document should indicate the courses taken and grades received by the applicant
- Two Letters of Recommendation: These should be either submitted online or posted in a sealed envelope. Sample letter
- One Photograph
- Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam : The applicant must submit the one of the following exams. Photocopies of the scores are accepted for application, but original copies should be submitted upon admission and enrollment.
- International candidates are required to present their latest GRE test scores. Required for international applicants Required for international applicants Required for international applicant
- English Proficiency Exam Result Certificate: As the language of instruction at Sabancı University is English, the applicant is required to submit the score of one of the English proficiency assessment exams. Recognized exams, the minimum score required and period of validity are given in the table below. Photocopies of the documents mentioned below are accepted for application; however originals will be requested upon registration in the case of admission.
- Statement of Purpose
Tuition & fees
- $17500. The payments for tuition can be made in 2 installments in the beginning of each term.
*Many scholarship opportunities exist for international students.
- Fees In a room for four per person (Fall and Spring semesters) $2500 (per year)/ In a room for two per person (Fall and Spring semesters) $3600 (per year) / Deposit (once, during first entrance) $400 / Approximate living expenses per month: $300-500.
Earn your degree in Istanbul at Sabanci University
Sabanci University is a leading university in Turkey which provides a fully English education backed by a world class faculty. One of the top research universities in the region, SU is the place to be with its strong scholarships, extensive...