Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS)
Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) started the MBBS Enlish taught program in 2006 and has since gained international recognition and approval from the medical councils in India, Thailand, Nepal and many more nations. To date, two classes of international students totaling 194 have graduated successfully from the University.
Sun Yat-sen University was approved as one of the thirty universities by the Ministry of Education of China to enroll international students majoring in MBBS (Program of Clinical Medicine taught in English). The program follows the “Provisional Regulations on Quality Control Standards of English-Taught Medical Undergraduate Education for International Students in China” and practices the academic principles of consolidating theoretical knowledge and focusing on technical skills, interdisciplinary studies, and clinical practice.
First established as Boji Medical School in 1866, Zhongshan School of Medicine (SYSU-SOM) is the oldest school of Western medicine in China. Today it is proud to stand among the top tier of medical schools nationwide. SYSU-SOM owns the largest comprehensive healthcare system in China, including 5 comprehensive and 3 specialized hospitals, and 13 branch community hospitals with over 11,000 beds, 13 million outpatient visits and 200,000 in-patient surgeries every year.
The institution stands as a leader in medical and scientific education and training, biomedical research, and patient care in the country and enjoys high a reputation at home and abroad, especially in Southeast Asia.
- Students should come from English-speaking countries. If not, a minimum score of 60 on the TOEFL iBT or a minimum IELTS score of 6 is required.
- Age requirements: 18 years or above.
- Senior high school graduation qualification.
- Scores of English in high school records should be Grade C or above (70 points or above out of 100).
- Scores of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology in high school records should be Grade D or above (60 points or above out of 100), and Grade C or above in at least one of the subjects among mathematics, physics and chemistry.
- Record of good behavior.
- Good health (including no color blindness).
- Applicants who have graduated from high school but not yet received graduation diplomas should provide supplementary documentation from schools verifying their status.
This program has an IELTS English language proficiency requirement. For more information about IELTS or to book a test, click below:
Degree & diploma
Bachelor Degree of Medicine and Surgery
Tuition & fees
- Tuition Fee: 45,000 yuan per year (Chinese taught); 48,000 yuan per year (English taught)
- Registration Fee: 600 yuan (Chinese taught); 800 yuan (English taught)
- Overall Insurance and Benefit Plan: 800 yuan per year
- Accommodation: 5,800 yuan per person per academic year (air-conditioned triple room)
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
SYSU is located in Guangdong Province, an area neighboring Hong Kong and Macao, which is at the forefront of China's reform and opening up, watch to learn more.
Sun Yat-sen University
Study Extensively, Enquire Accurately, Reflect Carefully, Discriminate Clearly, Practice Earnestly
Welcome to Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU), a comprehensive national key university founded in 1924 by Dr Sun Yat-sen, a revolutionary leader of the 20th century. With a teaching tradition spanning over a century, SYSU is located in Guangdong Province, an...