Study a Masters in Ancient Civilizations in the Netherlands
Classics is alive and kicking. The study of the texts, literature and material culture of ancient Greece and Rome offers a treasure trove of information. This information is not only fascinating in its own right, but it is also highly relevant to our present-day culture. Do you consider it a challenge to nuance our image of Greco-Roman antiquity and to forge new links between the present and the past? In that case, Classics is the specialization for you.
Ancient Civilizations Structure
Within the Classics track, there are two fields of interests:
- Linguistic and Narratological Approaches to Classical Texts: theoretical lectures on the principles of textual linguistics and narratology; parallel workshops applying theory to work of Greek and Latin authors; choice between two modules in Greek and Latin linguistics or Greek and Latin literature studies.
- Intertextuality and Reception: module on theory and practice of intertextuality and reception; Greek or Latin literature studies focusing on later historical periods; representative texts from Christian literature; Greek section covers Byzantine literature; Latin section covers Medieval and neo-Latin. In the second semester, you will conduct research for your Master’s thesis.
- A Bachelor's degree in Greek and Latin language and culture from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
- Motivation, background and personality (motivation letter, CV and personal reference)
- Proof of sufficient proficiency in English.
The cost of this program for students of EU/EEA countries is €2,060.
MA Classics and Ancient Civilizations
Welcome to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880 . The university offers over 120 English taught programs at Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral level. Students and staff of 84 nationalities create a dynamic international academic community. The...
Want to know more about Masters in Classics and Ancient Civilizations: Classics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!