Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Masters in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology (RM)Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Study a Masters in Clinical & Developmental Psychopathology
In a small scale teaching setting, students at the Research Master’s in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology will learn about the etiology, the development and course of psychopathology and cutting edge psychologically informed methods for its prevention and treatment. The best researchers in this field will present high-quality teaching on the newest insights on the relation between mental health, biological endowments and environmental resources, the neuropsychological substrate and human relationships, and adaptive and maladaptive developmental pathways.
The program in a nutshell
The Departments of Developmental Psychology, Clinical Psychology and Special Education of the VU University Amsterdam offer talented and motivated students a challenging educational program; a unique, two-year (120 ECTS) Research Master’s in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology.
Features of the curriculum include:
- Teaching in small classes and individual meetings
- Expert courses and workshops by leading researchers and clinicians
- Extensive academic skills training
- Advanced research training
- High quality research and study facilities
Through a diversity of learning activities (see below) students are given the opportunity to work on theoretical and practical problems. This is done in individual, group, and tutored settings, in for example seminars, practicals, research projects, presentations and lectures.
Through elective courses and research projects, students choose their specific direction or approach. They will have a tutor who is a scientific leader in the area of interest. The tutor will introduce the student in his or her research group, and give feedback on skills needed to become a successful scientist. Graduates of the Research Master’s in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology will have gained state-of-the-art knowledge related to several domains contributing to the multi- and interdisciplinary field of psychopathology sciences. Graduates will be thoroughly trained in conducting scientific, translational research on an international level and in an international context.
The curriculum consists of 108 ECTS obligatory courses and 12 ECTS elective courses.
- An academic bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Psychology or Education.
- Completed introductory level course in clinical diagnosis and assessment of mental health problems and risks (this requirement may be waived if the applicant agrees to complete a deficiency course in this area).
- GPA of 7.5 or higher (or the international equivalent e.g. a B or a GPA of 3.3)
- Minimum grade of 8 (or international equivalent, e.g. an B+) for the Bachelor’s thesis
- Proof of sufficient proficiency in English (English language proficiency test).
- A written motivation explaining one’s application for the Master’s Degree in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology.
- Two letters of recommendation from a professor of the university at which the applicant has undertaken the primary degree, whose credentials can be checked via Internet.
A job as... a researcher at a university or research institute!
After completing their Research Master’s Degree in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology, graduates will be in an excellent position to undertake PhD studies, addressing questions on epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis, course, treatment and outcome of psychopathology, as well as mental health service planning and evaluation. In addition, they may be involved in translational research conducted in the field of practice or in applied research centers. Graduates from the Research Master’s program are likely to be employed as researchers in positions at universities and research institutes, but especially in research positions bridging the gap between universities and mental health services.
Welcome to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880 . The university offers over 120 English taught programs at Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral level. Students and staff of 84 nationalities create a dynamic international academic community. The...
Want to know more about Masters in Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology (RM)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Find your perfect career!